Senior Backend Engineer
Clerkie is a dedicated financial coach that has helped over 3M Americans achieve their financial goals. Our platform couples access to dedicated human financial specialists with a series of innovative, proprietary tools that automatically negotiate outstanding debts, including student loans, credit cards, and medical debts, and help people on their journey to financial stability.
Clerkie was founded in 2016 and is venture-backed by leading financial institutions like Citi, Flourish Ventures, and Vestigo Ventures.
Every day, we obsess about how we can provide the best possible experience and outcome for our users. Our goal is to create a lasting business, one that uses true innovation to rethink the financial journey for Americans.
We’re a group of hard-working professionals who are located across the US - 4 different time zones! We have a customer-first mindset and an appetite for getting stuff done. We’re looking for a superstar to help us deliver life-changing solutions to those who need them most. 💪
What we look for:
- You can pivot on the fly. Clerkie is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning.
- You appreciate direct communication and look for feedback. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener.
Why work for us:
- Competitive salary + equity
- Top-notch medical, dental, and vision
- 401k & retirement benefits
- Fully remote position
- Fantastic coworkers
- Annual destination company retreat (this year is Cabo San Lucas)
- You’ll have the opportunity to see how all aspects of the business operate and have the chance to be a part of a startup from the very beginning.
Clerkie is in build mode and is looking for top-notch backend developers to design, build, launch and scale services that will power our core financial products. Our system has been built with security and scalability in mind and we're committed to maintaining and improving our system as we grow.
We’re looking for a senior backend engineer who will join and make a lasting impact on Clerkie’s core services. We’re looking for pragmatic and energized developers to help Clerkie build and scale into the future.
Here’s what you will do:
- Strive for a high standard of engineering quality while solving unique scalability challenges.
- Build, test, and release backend services for our customer and creditor-facing applications using AWS services at scale.
- Build high-quality, production-ready software that ensures customer trust with uncompromising security and privacy requirements
- Collaborate with our frontend, backend, design, and ops team to ensure the best solution possible
- Understand Clerkie’s mission and how it helps with personal finance, credit building, and debt solutions
- Implement and enforce best software engineering practices (unit and integration testing, CD/CI) at scale
- Continue to influence and inform future technologies chosen by the team. Your decisions will influence our growing tech stack
- Share your knowledge by giving tech talks and sharing appropriate tech and engineering best practices
Note: We primarily use Node.js and MongoDB for backend development
- 6+ years of software engineering experience
- Experience building product/services end-to-end from technical design, implementation, testing to delivery
- Able to tackle complex engineering problems that deliver results.
- Be motivated, self-driven in a fast-paced environment with a proven track record demonstrating impact across several teams and/or organizations
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with business stakeholders and manage tasks in a timely manner
- Solid familiarity with cloud development (preferably AWS) and large-scale system design
- Understands trade-offs and costs of cloud system design (SQL/NoSQL, Containers/Serverless, REST/GraphQL etc.)
- Experience with writing code for the cloud in a modern language such as Node.js, Go, C#, Java, or Ruby.
- Writes code that is high-quality, maintainable, testable, and follows best-practices
- Prefer prior experience with serverless technologies such as AWS Amplify, Lambda, and DynamoDB.
Above and beyond:
- Prior experience with AI/ML infrastructure, React / React Native, app development, FinTech
Other criteria and cultural fit:
- Passion for our mission
- Proactive team player who can work with others towards a common goal
- Extreme focus on the user with a healthy obsession for solving their needs
- Committed to being a part of something bigger than yourself
- Excitement for being a part of a small team where you will be expected to solve new challenges and learn new things everyday
- $120k - $200k
Want to be a part of something bigger than yourself? Submit your resume and a brief note on why you’d be the best fit for Clerkie. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion and encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply!
Note: Applicants must be authorized to work for ANY employer in the U.S. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment Visa at this time.
Something looks off?